Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Moose Story

I know, I know, everyone has a "vacation" story or two to tell. This is mine: DH and I were sitting outside the camper in Grand Lake campgrounds. I had my back to the camper, he was sitting about 6 feet away facing me. Behind him there is a small tiny stream, a hill, a few trees, and some willows. I was busy with a box of "finds" on my lap, dismantling stuff, so I could use it later. We were visiting about whatever, but I had my eyes on my junk. I finally did look up though. Right behind my DH, about six feet stood a MOOSE! I threw my box on the table, jumped up and yelled "stand up!" DH just looked at me, and saw I was very agitated but just said, "is it a bear?" I yelled again as I dashed behind the truck, "stand up!" Finally DH did stand up but the moose just looked at us, turned and went over to some willows and started munching out on them. He was big, beautiful, black, and his horns were in velvet. He hung for a few minutes then moseyed off across the road and disappeared into a forest of willows. I stlll can't believe he walked right up to us and we didn't even hear him until he was breathing down DH's neck! It did frighten me to have him right in our camp and to have him so close. I like to look at them but I have heard they can be very aggressive and dangerous. This guy didn't seem to mind us at all. I will post a picture if it turned out and when I get my camera in from the camper.

No comments: