Saturday, July 11, 2009

Just Another Saturday

This morning as a do my usual cup of tea and internet session, a young bird who is just trying to learn to fly keeps trying to land on the window bar.  I am relieved that the cat is in and can't catch it.  I am not sure what kind of bird it is, but hope it learns about windows soon.  
I look across the valley and see the little mountain we always called Flat Iron glowing white in sort of a gray partially cloudy day.  My father took me hiking on Flat Iron once when I was small and long before some company bought it to put towers on it.  We hunted for what Dad described as dinosaur eggs.  Round egg shaped rocks about five inches long and four inches around.  I think now they have decided they might be croc or alla gotor eggs as some fossils of such were found to the south and west of Flat Iron.  My parents used to have four or five of those eggs in a bowl shaped rock around the property.  I wonder what ever happened to them.  There were photos of them too.  
I planted some pennyroyal seeds in the cracks of the bricks I layed in the back for a small patio/step.  We discovered pennyroyal when we stayed at Turtle Rock.  It was in the grass and when you walked about, you could smell the most marvelous minty smell, thanks to the pennyroyal.  I hope it grows!  It is what is called a walkable herb.  
I am so excited-I signed up for an artist retreat in Los Vegas for next February.  Staying at Bally's.  The workshops will be in Ballys or the Paris.  I will be taking a sculpture class, a book binding class and a mixed media class... three days.  Something to look forward to!
Our garden plants are huge.  The tomatoes are just starting to make tomatoes.  We have had radishes, beet greens, squash, and turnip greens so far.  As usual, mother nature also planted.  We have several large squash looking plants growing in between where we planted.  We just let them grow to see what they are... hope it something we like, lol.
Well, I guess I better go see if I can help the dumb bird find a better perch than the window bars, lol.

No comments: