Friday, June 19, 2009

Week End

This week end is Father's Day.  My family never celebrated Father's Day too much.  My father probably would not have liked it too much if we had.  I really don't remember him celebrating any holiday so much.  I guess we did have Xmas when I was a child.  Most times we traveled to SLC to spend at Marianne's so we didn't decorate or anything.  I really think my people were not so "commercial" as many are today (or at least was until lately with the recession happenings.)  Anyway, I was thinking about it being Father's Day, and that led me to start thinking about my Father.  I never really remember him being "there" in my life to much.  He worked away lots.  And when he was home, he spent the time going to town to hang in the local bars.  He and I never really had any interaction to speak of.  I do remember at times some of the things he said.  I guess his "philosophical" sayings stuck with me as he was a man of very few words, so when he did speak, it seemed like it was way important.   Now I realize that he did not give me the skills a Dad should have passed on to a daughter.  Alcoholism, and acceptance of it is about what I got from him.  I was not prepared to judge and select a mate for myself, which is more likely based on "father like qualities."   I think about how lonely my Mom must have been living with such an introvert/absent person he turned into.  Perhaps he was different when he was younger, and they may have had lots of fun then.     

No comments: