Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Tomatoes

Finally! Our tomatoes started to produce. So, last Saturday, when we picked, we had so many, I had to put them in jars. I ended up canning eleven quarts. We will be happy to have those to add to soupy style recipes next winter. We are planning to make stuffed peppers and tomatoes soon too.

We had the car girls over the week end. Needless to say, we are still recovering, they take so much energy. We have non stop eating, and non stop activity when they are here. I laughed cuz when I changed the baby, she had a little blue dolphin stuck on her belly button. LOL

It seems nice to have the weather temperature down a notch or two. I hardly turn on the AC now.

There must be two dozen hummers flying around the feeder now. We found a dead one on the big rock over the week end and the car girls got to get a close up of the tiny wings and body. They also got to watch a preying mantis which was on DH's chair on the deck. They took the littlest car around the circle in the wagon, pulling her and running with her, until she laughed so loudly we could hear her from the other side of the orchard while we sat on the deck. I kept noticing wasps flying around one of the cedar trees while they were playing. It made me remember their Dad riding in the same wagon when he was little and he was so cute too. The wagon is so old and rickety, but it was still fun for them. Then they brought the wagon back and parked by the tree to rest, but little one did not want out. Then, while she sat there and as I watched, I saw wasps going under the wagon. So I told the big girls to look, and sure enough, there was a wasps nest under the wagon. So we got baby out and they took it up the road so DH could spray the wasp nest which was located in the area where the tongue hooks to the wagon. We were so amazed that one of the girls did not get stung.

No comments: