Sunday, October 4, 2009

Sunday Morning Breakfasts


In thinking about breakfast Sundays, DH and I were talking about pancakes. I bought a package of pancake mix to take to camp but that did not happen so now we have to use it for Sundays which is the only day we ever cook breakfast. We delightfully remembered the applesauce pancakes and the corn pancakes we used to make when our kids were small. They liked them! We thought we should try that again this winter. I spent some time looking for the corn pancake recipe in Granny's old cook book. The applesauce pancake recipe just came about through evolution. Some one gave me some apples, I made applesauce that no one wanted to eat, so I started using it in the pancake batter one time when I was a bit short on milk and the batter needed a bit more moisture. We all liked the pancakes and it was a great way to use the applesauce.
We like to have Sunday breakfast with any of the willing to eat family members. Jack's family, for instance, just comes up whenever they can and we all pitch in and help-the men cooking, the women waiting patiently, lol. The menu is usually whatever we have on hand. I think the idea is not so much what we eat, as it is a way of getting together as an extended family.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Well no one ever told me you had family breakfast on sundays. What time do you usually have it? No one ever tells me anything and I've been without internet and my laptop up until last week.

A tired retired recluse @ Swallowcliffs.blogspot.com/ said...

Oh. We kinda started that when we moved up here. I think your Mom and Dad may have come up a couple of times but decided it was not for them. Now, that GP is ailing, it doesn't happen... he needs to rest on his days off. J&S do come up once in a while but not every Sun. Last year we thought we might change it to Sun. eve. wiener roasts out side but GP likes his fave TV shows so that stopped too. But, if you would like to come up some Sun for breakfast... you have our phone # give us a bit of warning please! lol