Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Birds



Today, first thing this morning, a flicker, or what I have always called a wood pecker, was hanging around (this is not the first time either) the house. All at once it lit on the bar of the big window and stayed there for me to view him for a minute. He has an orangy undertail, but the rest of him is black and white. Then he flew to the other side of the house and lit on the bird feeder hanger and pecked at the metal bird there. Later, I saw him, and one of the scrub jays out by the pines have a few cross words with each other. Evidently, what he had to say won, as the scrub jay left. We also have had a flock of young robins here for a week or so. They are pretty busy. We always have the sparrows too. And the big mouthed blue jays have a big mouthed friend, a magpie, that hangs with them. I see and hear him almost daily.
I have been doing some wood batiks of the birds I see here, I like the batiking and the bird theme. Funny, the little hawk lit on the bird feeder and pecked at the metal bird too a while back. How odd is that? Perhaps the shape of the bird entices them?

No comments: