Sunday, March 15, 2009

Saga of Bluebirds, continues

So, I asked dh to help me. 
Shouldn't I know better by now?  
Nope, I blindly dived right in. 
 I said "could you do something to make sure the new and improved bird house stays attached to the pole I hung it on?"  This is the cedar post I worked so hard on, digging a hole, going over the hill to the junk pile to find the post, carrying it back, because the yard tractor and trailer has not been started yet this spring so thought it would be easier to just "hoof" it, tamping it into the hole I had dug then trying to nail the house up, not an easy task but I managed to get a couple of nails in,  but it definitely would swing in the wind. I needed help!
 But, as usual, instead of being helpful, dh decided it was "his" project and that of course, it was all wrong and would have to have some major renovations.  But, after some argument, we left it for a while.  Instead of working on attaching the bird house without scaring the birds, he went out, fired up his big tractor, and chased the birds away pulling up the posts from the old houses and a couple of dead bushes that are really close to this new bird abode.   Then, later, still being the "she will never learn" person that I am,  I said "well, I think some bailing wire would do the trick."  Yep, he agreed.  So, I wanted this to happen when the wary birds were off foraging for whatever they look for when away.  But, as usual, nope, had to be done right now because that is what (he, not me nor the birds) wants.  So, he puts the wire on as the birds watch from the antenna.  Then, he decides they need a perch, so he goes to the garage, builds a perch, comes back with perch and battery operated screw driver, goes out the door, scares the poor birds away AGAIN and puts on the perch.  Now, I am not for this perch... not one place I have looked does it mention that blue bird houses should have a perch, and they were going in and out of the house just fine without one!  Well, the result of this all day activity was that we did not see the birds again that day!  I am sad, thinking, well, they have finally given up and decided to move to a less active neighborhood.
But these birds are tenacious!  This morning they are back.  They are going in and out of the house, using the damn perch, which dh has pointed out I don't know how many times this morning, so hopefully, we are back to having tenents again. 
 I think dh's next plans,  however, is to fire up the battery operated hedge trimmer and trim down some grasses, several of which grow right underneath this new condo.  Grrrrr, it just does not do to focus him on anything if you want it left alone!

No comments: